Halloween: The Great Cultural Anthropology

Last night like millions of others I endeavored with family and friends to walk around a neighborhood teaching my 2 year old son how to ask for candy.  It only took 2 doors before he was a true trick-or-treating aficionado in the making.  But, of course on a night which is supposed to be linked in some ways to the occult and demonic influence, there were some things I saw that were disturbing.

1) Two year old kids have the capacity for greed.  Of course, I’m not talking about my precious son Mathew who has no sinful bone in his body – oh yes, I am talking about him.  But this is not surprising, just proof of Original Sin. Though this precious angle of a child was created for and has the capacity for good, because of the fall, he will do sinful things.  Especially when it involves candy and he’s able to mask his identity behind a dinosaur costume.

2) There’s a new genre of costume since I was a kid, at least if my memory serves me correctly.  When I was a kid you had two options – scary or cartoony.  If you were cool, you knew you had to go scary, because cartoon-ish means your parents picked out your costume.  But there’s a new genre that becomes an option at an earlier and earlier age it seems – the “sexy” option.  I saw more mini-skirts on children last night then I’d like to recall.  It was kind of sad, weird and disgusting all rolled up into one. I kept wondering what their parents were thinking?!  Am I prude or is this a little crazy to you too?

3) There’s always people too old out trick or treating. Halloween is the great equalizer it seems.  At any given door way, standing next to my two year old son dressed as a dinosaur (both scary and cartoon-ish = cool parents) is a “child” who grew in his own fake mustache for his same pirate costume he uses every year.  It would be too childish to have an orange pumpkin bucket to collect candy so he uses his drool stained pillowcase.  Seriously, at one door, this “child” was greeted by a younger, but obviously more mature woman, about 16.  As the girl dropped the bowl of candy down for Matthew to grab a few pieces, the "pirate child" grabbed a handful ignoring everyone else.  We were all disgusted. 

Ok, that’s the end of my ranting.  I am going to post another comment on how much I saw community at work last night as well.  Keep an eye out for it later tonight.  What did you see last night?  What cultural anthropology did see in your neighborhood?

2 Response to Halloween: The Great Cultural Anthropology

Carlyle
11/1/10, 11:28 AM

Dude - if you want to see cultural anthropology in freakin' overdrive, head over to Colorado between Hampton and Edgefield on Halloween night (in Oak Cliff). It is beyond insane. The kids are all but bussed in, and I am not kidding, nor exaggerating. Aside from that, for a real pocket of Cultural craziness, there's always Cedar Springs. A word of warning there, though - do not take the kid.

Think I'll go write about this on my blog too - don't have to worry so much about how I phrase things there - lol...

11/1/10, 2:16 PM

Haha, I've heard about the craziness over there. I was in Rowlett last night. That family friendly wholesome down to earth town. :)

Post a Comment